All 5D Blog articles from June 2017 onwards can be located on the 5D Website at www.5d-blog.com No more post will appear on blogger from this point.

Wednesday, 19 October 2016

The 5D Podcast arrives soon! - AKA: You can run from 5D but you can't hide.

Some of you know the story, some of you may not - and many more of you quite rightly couldn't care less. However from my own self-centred point of view, it's certainly been an interesting few years here at 5D headquarters.

5D started as a simple little blog back in 2012. It all began as some half-hearted musings on the often maligned genres of science fiction, fantasy and horror, all of which have formed the bedrock of my film & literature obsession. In all truth my starting to write the blog was simply something to pass the time and enable me to force my self-indulgent musings upon the world, whilst all the time trying not to take myself too seriously. 

However, something strange soon began to happen as people began to read my scribblings and soon I was being contacted from individuals around the world. I was astounded to learn that rather than requests of restraining orders, people not only liked my self-depreciating approach but also there were those who even wanted to send me their work to promote & review on my blog. 

This began a love-affair with the incredible range of independent and low budget productions from all around the world, particularly in science fiction and horror. The experience has now morphed into something else entirely, with a rather nifty website (designed by my boy, Zack) full of reviews, interviews and dealing with many creative individuals of both mainstream and independent productions.

Another catastrophic attempt by yours truly
 to look cool and intelligent....
Am I a critic? No, absolutely not...... Will I one day put together articles full of correct spelling, grammar and factual accuracy? Perhaps..... Am I a scribbler who passionately muses on things he loves about Sci-fi, fantasy & horror while making damn sure he keeps a sense of proportion and doesn't take himself too seriously? Oh hell yes.

I know what you're thinking - 'Well this article so far has surpassed even your own legendary level of self-indulgence.....what the hell is your point?!" Well, harsh and to the point - but very fair I may add. Let me enlighten you good people......

The next step in the evolution of 5D in eventually achieving complete world domination (it's only a matter of time) is going to be happening in the next few weeks.... The original plan was to launch a Kickstarter campaign for the tools needed for our next project, however circumstances have meant that the necessary equipment has come my way.

I'm afraid that there will really be little chance of escaping my regular deluded ramblings because my boy and I will be creating a quality podcast for as many things Sci-Fi, fantasy & horror related that we can squeeze into a 30 minute episode. The intention is to create a quality, entertaining and even occasionally informative podcast each week, depending on whether we get taken off the air or find out that there no audience - or perhaps both.

Because we both have often differing views about what we love in the genres we believe that this will contribute to an invigorating discussion between two people who love the subjects which they will be exploring. We don't claim to be experts or critics (I know, I know - that's never stopped me before!) - but what we are is passionate about this stuff! What the podcast will do will be to enable us to share our obsessions with anyone who cares to listen and participate. 

Will we entertain? Possibly. Will we upset some people? Hmm, hopefully!! Will we fill up some time in your day to help you realise that there are two people in the world even more past the point of hope than you? Most definitely!! ...... So you have two guys that will be bringing to you a podcast content that will cover for example, classic Sci-Fi, fantasy & horror, the current independent movie scene, the gaming scene, reviews, interviews and much much more!

The evidence, your honour.....
You may be asking just what makes us think that we can make this a podcast worth listening to?! Well over the last few years 5D has built a reputation and body of work around the world to the extent that the website now averages around 1500 hits per month. This reputation and support also transcends to people 'in the business' as the words of support section below quite clearly shows. In addition these contacts around the globe will hopefully provide us with a plentiful pool of interesting talent to showcase and share podcast time with.

The podcast episodes will be available to view on the 5D website, the upcoming 5D YouTube channel and via iTunes. Also, if there is any way I could deliver each episode straight to your door accompanied with some of my favourite cookies, well I would do that as well!

So for those who don't know, you may well be wondering just who the heck are we and who the hell do we think we are?

Well, the 5D Podcast team are Stuart and Zack.

In my case - well I'm old enough to know better but too stupid to care. A child of the 1970's and a Geek well before it was cool to be one.  My love of Sci-Fi probably stems from a steady childhood TV diet of Star Trek and Doctor Who, an obsession with the classic British comic 2000AD and then the cultural monster that was Star Wars. My obsessions then broadened to more unusual and occasionally obscure sci-fi - for example, I would now regard my favourite ever film as Le Jettee (1962)

Regarding my fantasy obsession, well that's completely the fault of my primary school teacher when I was 9 years old. The Friday afternoon reading book one summer was 'The Hobbit' - my life changed forever.

In terms of horror there are two films that constantly vie for the prize of my favourite ever horror movie. This week it is The Wicker Man - no, not the catastrophe that was the Nicholas Cage remake - but the 1973 masterpiece that contains perhaps the greatest of all sucker punch horrific climaxes. Next week my favourite will be The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - practically perfect horror.

As for Zack - well he grew up during the transition from smoke/mirror effects to high impact computer generated graphics and his professional career has left him somewhat biased towards the modern techniques. Since he has a wealth of experience in computer effects within visualisation and video games, this has led him to enjoying and appreciating the time and effort that is put into every frame by the unnamed individuals. In other words, he and I disagree on MANY things scifi, fantasy & horror related.

One of my boy's many masterpieces.
For example, whereas I often will explore and enjoy some of the more obscure genre productions, his knowledge of the fantasy genre stops at the end of the third iteration of the Lord of The Rings and quite frankly he's too scared to watch a good horror film on his own in the dark - What. A. Wuss.

In terms of sci-fi, of course he enjoys Star Wars and such, but he also greatly enjoys the mindless action and graphics within films like Independence Day, Live Die Repeat and many of the Sci Fi films that aren’t considered ‘nerdy’.

I do sometimes genuinely wonder if he is my son.........

Within 5D headquarters, he is responsible for the website architecture and making everything look pretty - the 5D website is but one example of his abundant skills........

You may still be wondering whether this is all just all bluster and ego from me (I know, it wouldn't be the first time that I'm guilty of that)  - but don't just take my word for it. Since the revamp of the 5D website I've been genuinely thankful to see a rather fab amount of visitors to the site, nearly 4000 visits in all so far.... and counting. 

Not only that but some very, very nice people have said some even nicer things about 5D as you can see below..... 


Some words of support for 5D

"I'm ALL excited about this site! THE authority on "British productions and the independent minded - It's where I go!!!!" : Peter Shinkoda - actor. (Nobo in the Daredevil TV series).

"This is very cool.": Vincent D'Onofrio - actor. (Kingpin in the Daredevil series, Criminal minds, Jurassic World, Full Metal Jacket).

Some hellish regards from the legendary Bill Oberst Jr.
"I have been a fan of Stuart Anderson and his 5-D Blog for a few years now, and I've enjoyed his intelligent, irreverent and passionate musings on the genres I love best. The thought of hearing Stu and his young lad on the air delights me! I'll be supporting this effort and I ask you, my fellow sci-fi, fantasy and horror fans, to do the same. Stu is the genuine article. I'm proud to be his friend and his fan!": Bill Oberst Jr. - LA based actor & horror icon.

"I absolutely love 5D. The Fifth Dimension Sci-fi/fantasy & horror group! Stuart really knows this genre backwards and forwards! Never a dull moment reading the fascinating material he writes! Love love love it!": Ellen Dubin - Actress. (Lexx, Napoleon Dynamite).

"A great resource for in-depth reviews and informative interviews": John Portonova - writer, producer, director.



Hopefully, some of the people above, as well as others who succumb to my begging and whining will appear as guest on the podcasts. So, over the next couple of weeks I will be incessantly bang on gently remind you now and again about the soon to be arriving 5D Podcast. 







This article can also be found via the 5D website www.5d-blog.com. There you can find a veritable feast of blog articles, news items, pictures and and other mouth-watering salutations to the gods of the geeks and the nerds. We have now inherited the earth, you know.

There is also a newly launched forum on the website designed for ANYONE involved or interested in the Independent film industry related to genres of Sci-Fi, fantasy and horror. Feel free to register and contribute - Everyone is welcome!

In addition the 5D website now has PayPal Donate button. Any donations kindly made will be fed directly back to help with a podcast materials, competition prizes and other general costs etc. If you wish to contribute to the exciting growth of the website & blog then we here at 5D headquarters would be eternally grateful. If you would like your contribution to be acknowledged publicly then simply send a message via the website’s contact section and we’ll send you some love!

If all that was enough to entice to 5D land, should any of you fine people out there wish to advertise on the 5D website then have a look at the offer above.









No comments:

Post a Comment