Sunday, 6 March 2016

Smile (2016)

It's safe to say that back in the day I had my fair share of bad dates, some were probably my fault, some definitely were not. Perhaps the worse dating memory I have (and I've no idea if it was my fault or not) was when I was around 19 years old, it was a blind date and an unmitigated disaster. A mutual friend had put the two of us together after myself and the girl in question had recently coming to the end of respective long term relationships. Our mutual friend thought we would hit it off....... we didn't. On the contrary I think that she must have decided pretty quickly during our first drink that she hated me, just a little bit. For two long painful hours we attempted polite conversation, but to no avail. I'd even tried asking her about her favourite horror movies - it turns out she hated them. I asked her about her favourite Sci-Fi movies - she hated them even more. Eventually she made an excuse about needing to make a quick phone call at a nearby pay phone (this was in the days before the wonders of the Internet, mobile phones et al). After 30 minutes it finally dawned on me that she had legged it away. I never saw her again.

Now while that date with a girl, whose name for the life of me I cannot remember, may have been one of the less than stellar romantic evenings of my life, it could have been worse. Take for example the plot of the latest short film from a friend of 5D, Stuart Gilmartin - Smile. The last time I wrote about Stuart's work was in regard to his involvement in the excellent post apocalyptic film, Safe Haven - for which you can read the review RIGHT HERE.

Well it seems that Stuart either continues to value my opinion (doubtful) or that his usual go-to blogger is still incapacitated in some quiet back street gutter in Dundee (probable), because he asked me this week week if I'd look at his latest piece of work. Smile is not only a brand new short film but in fact it's not even finished yet, so much so that Stuart provided me with a warning that there were a few blips and jumps that still needed to be ironed out. 

Not only that, but the credit sequence at the end of the film on the super-screet online screener also isn't finished so I was unable to perform my usual rip-off of information and pretend is was my own research professional standard of research.

Not to worry, because in my usual undaunted approach to blogging (some may define that as chaotic and all-over-the-place) I went ahead in watching the film - after all, it's one of the benefits of this blogging malarkey to know that I may be one of the very first people in the world to see a movie ........ well apart from those involved in making the film, their friends, family etc etc.

Smile is a short horror film from East Coast Films, described as "Pretty woman meets psycho, just without the prostitution". That pretty much sums it up.


"When a down and out lawyer meets a confident young girl at a bar, the two hit it off and a night of passion ensues, but there is something more sinister lurking beneath her beautiful exterior"

The plot of Smile is fairly straightforward: Boy meets girl in bar...........boy tries chatting up girl, but lacks confidence.......... girl likes boy's lack of confidence.........girl likes boy......... boy and girl spend some 'quality' time together (that's a metaphor for something else for those of a slow nature)......... things don't quite go so well for one of them............ Ahhh, as I've said before, we've all been there - well not quite in respect of what happens between Steve and Kirsty, but there's still time in my life I suppose.

At just over 12 minutes there's not a lot more I want to say about the film without giving anything away. I will say that the parts of Steve and Kirsty are both played very well, by Nicolette McKeown and J Scott murray and complete with the requisite amount of self-consciousness that many who have found themselves talking to an attractive stranger in a bar have felt. I must admit that doing the old chat-up scenario has never really been the strongest element in my admittedly scarce skill set, in fact it's something that I always actively avoided. So the whole 'tell me your name because I like you' situation is conveyed nice and authentically ........ as are the subsequent interesting proceedings afterwards. The writing, lighting and direction too is of an equally good standard.

All I will say is that Smile is a thoroughly confident and enjoyable slice of a tale about blossoming romance not quite working out the way in which we expect it to do.


You can find out more about Smile at its Facebook page RIGHT HERE.













No comments:

Post a Comment