Sunday, 9 November 2014

BFI: Sci-Fi Days of Fear and Wonder at Glasgow Film Theatre (GFT)

For those of you that don't know me or much about me, well I have two things to say about that. Firstly, well you can probably count yourselves very lucky having escaped my attentions. Secondly, that I live in gods own region of gods own country - the North East of Scotland. It is a beautiful place full of amazing history, landscape and tradition and no doubt somewhere that I will probably spend the rest of my (probably numbered) days calling home. The major problem is that when it comes to Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror events, festivals and the like, well let's just say that few ever find their way up as far as Aberdeen (and that's 50 miles DOWN from were I live on the Moray Firth). 

Now before many of you start sending to my email inbox outraged messages reminding about me about the three excellent comic book stores in the city, or about the very fabulous and exciting Granite City Comicon that will be taking place in May 2015......I know I know!.....My point is that when it comes to fabulous events, Glasgow, for example, always tends to get the lions share of all the good stuff. For crying out loud, even Dundee had it's own comic con before we did. However, don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against Glasgow, in fact I love the place, it's a great city. I just wish for example, that when the BFI's Sci-Fi: Days of Fear and Wonder season was being planned that we might have had something of the excellent things that are happening elsewhere, up here. Bitter, Moi? Well probably not as such, hopefully you'll know what I'm trying to say.

Earlier this week I received an email from the marketing & Press officer at the Glasgow Film Theatre (GFT) to ask me if I'd be interested in doing what little (my description, not hers) I could to help publicise their program of events taking place during November and December, which forms part of the pure fabity fabness that has been the BFI's Sci-Fi: Days of Fear and Wonder season.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, the level of activity at Fort Fifth Dimension has been rather manic recently with a regular influx of requests from various parties asking if I'd like to do a little bit of this, or a little bit of that, for them. Of course, I'm always flattered by requests of any kind, though the request from an anonymous reader some time ago that I take my blog and shove it where the sun never shines proved not only physically impossible but also to be more than a little rude and inappropriate on their part.

However, the request from GFT was slightly more appropriate (& less painful) so I was quite keen to help. This keenness turned pretty quickly into genuine and uncontrolled delight (and yes, envy) when I read what GFT had in store as their programme. However, before I tell you a little bit about the events that are lined up, here's a little bit of information about Glasgow Film.

The beautiful foyer of the Glasgow film Theatre
Glasgow Film, which encompasses both Glasgow Film Theatre and Glasgow Film Festival, is at the heart of the cultural life of the city and the moving image industry in Scotland.

Glasgow Film believes cinema is for all. So we reach many audiences and customers and different communities. We want more people to experience great cinema, more often and to meet with the people who work in the film and moving image industries.

Glasgow Film is a not for profit organisation: a social enterprise linking people with world ideas through the power of cinema, promoting the cultural value of moving image work and the social benefits of collective experience of cinema, while not forgetting the magic of the movies
."

To be honest, the programme of events for the GFT's involvement in the BFI Sci-Fi: Days of Fear and Wonder season is far too detailed to do it credit in this blog piece, so I will be mentioning just a few tasty morsels to wet your appetite. However, the website for the Glasgow Film Theatre which can give you much more detailed information of the programme of events for their part in the BFI's Sci-Fi: Days of Fear and Wonder season can be reached at  http://www.glasgowfilm.org/theatre/whats_on/season:sci_fi_days_of_fear_and_wonder
Go & get 'em my gal

A few particular highlights immediately caught my eye as I perused the multitude of screenings that are taking place throughout November and December at GFT.

For a start there are special director’s cuts (and far superior) of Alien and Aliens, a new digital print of the classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and a just-announced screening of the simply sublime Blade Runner: The Final Cut, on Sunday 14 December, ahead of its nationwide reissue on Friday 3 April 2015.

They also have a special focus on director Stanley Kubrick, with the re-release of 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Stanley Kubrick’s brother-in-law, confidant and regular executive producer, Jan Harlan, will attend the screening of A.I Artificial Intelligence, on Wednesday 10 December. Harlan will give the audience the insider’s story of what it was like to work with Steven Spielberg to bring Kubrick’s original, unrealised vision for the film to screen. Not only that, but the screening will be using the brand new digital print created by Warner Bros which means that it is going to look been more stunningly beautiful than it ever has before.

2001 - in a beautiful new print
GFT have also teamed up with Glasgow Women’s Library to programme Teknowomen, a season of films that charts the depiction of women in Science Fiction. As well as three screenings at GFT, two events will take place at Glasgow Women’s Library, including Wonder Women! The Untold story of American Superheroines, which will be followed by a discussion with broadcaster, author and journalist Muriel Gray, author Zoë Strachan and comic artist Gill Hatcher.

If all that wasn't enough, with the help of programme partners Africa in Motion, Africa at the door of the Cosmos introduces the brilliance of African Sci-Fi and Afrofuturist films to GFT audiences, offering bold and imaginative visions of the continent and its diaspora. 
The Last Angel of History

Specially-curated African sci-fi shorts programme Visions of the Future, will tour to four UK venues, while other screenings at GFT will include John Akomfrah’s influential cinematic essay The Last Angel of History, and the beguiling Space is the place, starring legendary jazz giant Sun Ra.

Now just how good does all that sound!

Remember, this program of events at GFT only takes place in November and December. So get yourself up there (or down there) to Glasgow and see a wonderfully diverse range of the highest quality in Science fiction. 


To find out more, the GFT website is RIGHT HERE 




No comments:

Post a Comment